This spring Mary and I have gone through the Crown Financial Study for the first time. We have been wanting to take the course for years because finances are an area we have had to put significant work into in order to be, and stay, on the same page. It was a great experience so I want to take this opportunity to try to convince you to go through Crown. So…10 reasons. Let’s do this.
1. There are 2,350 verses about money in scripture.
It appears that money is an important subject to God so it should be important to us as well.
2. We live in a very affluent and materialistic city, which is bound to affect us.
Money is powerful and must be addressed rather than left unattended.
3. The study is helpful for every age and life stage.
Our group included recent college graduates as well as empty nesters, three elders and one deacon. You are never too young, too old or too spiritually mature to study this important subject.
4. God has used Crown to help many spenders grow in self-control.
5. God has used crown to help many hoarders become givers.
6. God has used Crown to help many relate to money with faith and freedom rather than fear.
Personally, this was one of the most helpful parts of taking crown.
7. Scripture memory is an important and often neglected discipline.
One reason some people shy away from Crown is the fact that there is homework each week including Scripture memory. Honestly, it isn’t bad at all. In fact, some in our group noted that it had helped provide the accountability required to build a habit of getting into the Word.
8. The course is very practical and makes you put your financial house in order.
Over the 10 weeks you are challenged to do things you would expect like set a budget, monitor a budget and stick to a budget. Crown helped us renew our commitment to using mint.com and it is going really well.
There are also some practical things they encourage you to do like to have a will. This encouragement was just what we needed to take us from knowing we should update our will to actually doing it.
9. Investing 10 weeks in this study will pay large dividends for a lifetime.
See what I did there? Really though, it will.
10. If you already know everything in the course God will use your knowledge to bless others.
Ken and Ruth Samuelson led our group. They have been through the course ten times. Ten. Times. This is a subject they are passionate about and their participation and wisdom made a big impact on our group.
If these 10 things have not convinced you then maybe I should have mentioned that each week there is a video which includes some serious 80’s guitar rock to get you pumped to honor God with your finances (If you want to hear what the music was like see Chuck Macurda for a mean air guitar reenactment).
Seriously though, Crown is great. The Deacons have been using this time proven study for about 15 years, and over the years they have seen great results. Whether you are just out of college or deep into your career I highly recommend you go through the crown group with a small group that can support you and hold you accountable. Uptown runs a few crown groups each year. If you would like to be notified next time a crown class is formed please contact Michael Richter (firstname.lastname@example.org). Michael is the Deacon over starting new Crown groups.
Finally, if you have been through a crown class and have anything to add to the top 10 list then please share your experience in the comments below. We would love to hear how God used Crown to affect you.
Author: Rev. Dave Kulp